ALISE/Bohdan S. Wynar Research Paper Competition
The purpose of this award is to further stimulate the communication of research at ALISE Annual Meetings. Research papers concerning any aspect of library and information science are eligible. This competition is not limited to research regarding LIS education. Any research methodology is acceptable. Up to two winning papers may be selected.
The winner(s) of the award will be honored at the ALISE Annual Meeting and will be expected to present a summary of their paper at that meeting. The award does not include an honorarium.
- At least one applicant in a group must be a personal member of ALISE as of the deadline date.
- Only one research paper will be considered from each entrant; multiple entries by the same author will not be accepted. The same author may submit for both the Research Grant Award and the Research Papers Competition; however, the same work cannot be submitted for both categories. Papers must represent completed research not previously published. However, the manuscript may have been submitted and be in process for publication.
- Papers, including abstract and references, must not exceed 35 double-spaced pages (approximately 10,000 words), should have one inch margins and be in 12 point font.
- Research papers completed in the pursuit of master’s and doctoral studies (e.g. theses, seminar papers, and dissertations) are not eligible for entry. Research utilizing data gathered by a master’s or doctoral student is eligible unless the research report is taken directly from a paper submitted for degree requirements. Papers which are spin-offs of such research are eligible for entry.
- Papers generated as a result of a research grant or other source of funding are eligible for the competition.
- Two title pages must be sent. One with, and one without, author names(s) and institution. Both title pages should carry the name of the competition for which the paper is being submitted.
The papers will be judged by the Research Committee with the assistance of additional ALISE members in those cases where the research topic or methodology warrant. All reviewing is blind. Research papers will be judged on the following criteria:
- Significance of the research problem.
- Presentation of the relevant literature.
- Design of the study (i.e., appropriateness of methodology, selection of specific techniques and/or tests).
- Conduct of the study (i.e., application of methods of data collection).
- Analysis and presentation of the data (i.e., quality of analysis, logic of findings).
- Appropriateness of the conclusions.
Please submit a blind copy of your paper. Papers will be disqualified if they exhibit one or more of the following:
- Lack of adherence to submission requirements
- Submission of paper for the wrong award
- Poor quality in the writing
- Poor organization of material
Award Submission Instructions
Access the submission form here. After you create a login, click on Award Submission/Nomination at the bottom of the page. In the submission form, please be sure you enter the name(s) of the individual being nominated. List one nominee per line. If there is more than one nominee, use the Org. Index box on the right side to indicate institutional names. The number in the Org. Index box must correspond to the number below it. Prior to uploading documents, be sure to refer to your award’s requirements.
Deadline: September 22, 2017