Director of Libraries
This Position is Currently OPEN
Close Date: 7/28/2017 5:00 PM
Salary Range: DOQ
Type: Full Time
General Job Description
Horry County Government is seeking an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented professional to lead the Horry County Memorial Library System in delivering the highest quality of public library services to the citizens of Horry County. The selected leader will be a motivator and team builder for the library staff, leveraging their unique capabilities to maximize service delivery and empowering them to create state-of-the art library environments.
Duties for this Position
- Plans, develops, and oversees the fiscal and administrative operations of the Horry County Memorial Library System to ensure efficient and effective execution of service standards determined by the Library Board of Trustees. Supervises library staff through an established chain of command, including, but not limited to, prioritizing and assigning work; monitoring and managing performance and conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary/grievance decisions; and recommending and approving human resources decisions, such as transfers, promotions, and salary increases.
- Develops and maintains effective working and administrative relationships with Library stakeholders. Attends Library meetings and meetings of other relevant agencies and organizations. Collaborates with County Administration to accomplish goals set forth by County Council.
- Prepares and administers the Libraries’ annual budget. Provides leadership, vision, and management for the development and implementation of the Library’s budget, policies, and goals. Horry County is situated on the northeast coast of South Carolina and includes the popular family-oriented tourist destination of Myrtle Beach. With a population of almost 300,000, it is the largest county in South Carolina with a land mass of 1,134 square miles.
- The position will direct the County’s management, planning, coordination, budget and daily operations of 10 libraries and one administrative branch, comprising 64 employees, within the Horry County Memorial Library System in accordance with the policies and procedures set forth by County Council and directed by the Library Board of Trustees.
Position Minimum Requirements
- Requires Master’s Degree in library science and Professional Librarian Certificate. Degree in business administration desired. Minimum of six (6) years of library experience, with two (2) of those years at a supervisory level. Second language, bilingual, and/or ASL highly desired.
- Must be able to pass the required pre-employment physical and background check.